Committee Job Descriptions
ROI is accepting applications from ASTRO members to volunteer for the Development Committee and the Research Committee.
Submit your application by September 30, 2022.
Purpose of the Committee: As a committee of the Board of Trustees, the Development Committee helps the Board carry out its due diligence function related to assuring fiscal health through philanthropy and fund development. The committee partners with staff to institutionalize the philanthropic process within the Board and its individual members, assuring a donor-centered organization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Makes a personal financial commitment to the ROI.
- Assists in the identification, cultivation and solicitation of potential donors to the ROI.
- Partners with the Nominating (Governance) Committee to assure appropriate articulation of roles and performance expectations in fund development for Development Committee, Board and individual board members.
- Devises and recommends philanthropy and development policies and recommends to the Board for action.
- Helps nurture a culture of philanthropy and assures that all donations of time and money are respected and honored.
- Assures that the Board and individual Board members are adequately educated about the basic principles and best practices in development, including the design of a donor-centered organization.
- Through the development planning process: establishes the charitable contributions goals for the annual budget; devises the annual fund development plan for action by the Board; and, recommends results and benchmarks for action by the Board.
- Reviews results and evaluates return on investment (ROI) compared to plan. Identifies trends and implications and engages the Board in strategic dialogue and decision-making regarding philanthropy and fund development.
- Helps the Board articulate the case for philanthropic support directed at specific audiences.
- Provides personal follow-up to individual Board members to monitor their participation.
Purpose of the Committee: As a committee of the Board of Trustees, the Research Committee helps the Board to accomplish the organization’s mission to heighten the critical role of radiation therapy in the treatment of cancer through research and to carry out its due diligence function related to approving and monitoring the ROI’s research programs and services. The committee partners with staff to oversee the ROI’s research program.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Serves as technical advisors.
- Develops the ROI research agenda to identify priority research areas within the field of radiation oncology that will have an impact on practice and improve outcomes for patients.
- Analyzes and updates the ROI research agenda based on the initial benchmark needs analysis (National Radiation Oncology Needs Assessment) and all future analyses.
- Ensures the continuity of ROI’s research program based upon guidance from ROI constituents and strategic direction from the Board.
- Develops requests for proposals that align with the ROI research agenda to solicit innovative ideas for new research grant awards.
- Identifies and develops additional funding and recognition opportunities to stimulate research in the ROI’s priority research areas.
- Reviews all award applications and makes recommendations for funding allocations to the ROI Board.
- Provides oversight of the research projects awarded to verify that the investigators are making progress toward the aims outlined in their proposals.
- Establishes and updates the ROI’s research policies to ensure the integrity and quality of the awards process and the research supported.
- Helps disseminate information about the ROI’s research, including funding opportunities, the award winners and outcomes.
- Understands that ROI research grants are supported by donations and will consider a personal commitment.
- Experience with a peer-reviewed grant or on a research career pathway.